Sunday, September 21, 2014

It's Autumn! Time for a Poem or Two



The maple leaves are beautiful right now! And the aspens are golden yellow patches on the mountainsides. I love autumn. Have you seen this poem by e.e. cummings? He focused on (and imitated) the action of a falling leaf in this  poem.



l(a
le

af
fa
ll

s)

one
l

iness

It might help to see the poem unbroken: 
"l(a leaf falls) oneliness." 
Cummings wrote the sentence so that the action of a leaf falling is actually contained within the word "loneliness." 
I wrote a poem inspired by the first line of a poem by a Canadian poet, Bliss Carman. 
"There is something in the autumn that is native to my blood"

There is something in the autumn that is native to my blood
Colder, longer nights,
the smell of wood smoke in the air.
One lonely fly buzzes by
my soup bowl,
                wondering
What happened to summer?





No comments:

Post a Comment